Design Project 1: ‘L0 Series’ High-Speed Maglev (Magnetic Levitation) Train
• The Designer: Central Japan Railway Co. (JR Central), http://english.jr-central.co.jp/
• The Design Rationale/Concept: The concept is a train that floats above the track via magnetic levitation, thus allowing for higher speed, more efficient travel than existing conventional railways.
• The Client: JR Central, http://english.jr-central.co.jp/
• The trains sport an extended nose to reduce noise and air resistance, and will be the fastest trains in operation anywhere in the world when they hit the tracks in approximately 2027.
Design Project 2: The ‘Mail-A-Plant’
• The Designer: Yasmin Sethi, http://www.yasminsethi.com/index.htm
• The Design Rationale/Concept: A gift that you can mail to someone, that contains the beginnings of a plant. With the recipient’s addition of soil and water, it grows into a fully-fledged marigold flower.
• The Client: Yasmin Sethi, http://www.yasminsethi.com/index.htm
• The more water and care given to the plant, the longer the connection between who sent the plant and whom it was sent to is kept up.
Design Project 3: The ‘AirWaves Connected Mask’
• Designer: frog Design, Shanghai, http://www.frogdesign.com/contact/shanghai.html
• Design Rationale/Concept: Designed for a competition, the mask monitors air pollution levels (while filtering the air being breathed in) and transfers the data to a smartphone app, which enables others to see the air pollution levels in an area. The competition was regarding wearable computing, and the mask is an attempt to prevent the need for people to check several different sources to find reliable information on current air pollution in an area.
• The Client: frog Design, Shanghai, http://www.frogdesign.com/contact/shanghai.html
• The mask connects to the user’s smartphone via Bluetooth.
Design Project 4: The ‘Mini’ Washing Machine
• The Designer: Daewoo Electronics, http://www.dwe.co.kr/english/
• The Design Rationale/Concept: To create a washing machine that saves space by the ability to be mounted upon a wall, making it quite suitable for high-density housing situations as it does not take up any floor space, and saves energy (and thereby money) by washing smaller loads than a conventional washing machine.
• The Client: Daewoo Electronics, http://www.dwe.co.kr/english/
• The ‘Mini’ has a mass of just 3 kilograms!